15 November 2005

 

OPINION: Nap, Max & Dong

WINDOWS
Gabriel L. Cardinoza

In five days last week, three of our local media colleagues and friends passed away: Nap Donato on Nov. 5, Max Mendiguarin on Nov. 6 and Dong Villafuerte on Nov. 9.

I first met Nap in the late 80s, when he was not yet in the media and he was known more as Linis Pinoy. I was then working at the Urduja House in Lingayen when he came to my office one day to propose the holding of a seminar for the provincial government’s janitors.

He believed that as frontline personnel, janitors and other utility workers must be taught basic courtesy and how to do their jobs properly. Then Gov. Rafael Colet approved his proposal and Nap conducted what could be his first Linis Pinoy seminar in the province.

When Nap ventured into media and became one of us in the mid-90s, I’d bump into him often in press conferences and news events in the province. I had a chance to work with him in the defunct Sun.Star Pangasinan Daily when I was managing editor and he ran a column.

One weekend last year, Nap called me at home to tell me that he is working on a project that would bring the province’s best journalists together. He never discussed the project then; he just wanted my commitment to help. The project did not push through. But when he died, he did just that: gather all Pangasinan journalists during his wake.

* * * * *
On Mama Max, I first met him in the police beat when I was a radio reporter. I have heard much about him, especially his funny miscues and misadventures, when I was a student. He was then a radio icon, being the No. 1 prime time radio announcer.

When I was information officer, I had a chance to meet him up close and we would have brief conversations everytime I gave him press releases or when he came to my office. As age slowly caught up on him and his voice vanished from the airwaves, I would also see Mama Max less often.

When I saw him at Dagupena one morning, I thought he did not recognize me anymore. But to my surprise, he approached me and even called me by my first name. I guess Mama Max is one media person who will continue to live in the people’s memories, especially among us, his colleagues. His name will continue to pop out in every media conversation being the only local media personality whose popularity has always been challenged but never surpassed.

* * * * *
Two days before his death, Dong was in my office. As usual, he occupied one of the seats in front of my desk while waiting for his turn to have an audience with Councilor Vlad Mata. Over a cup of coffee, we would talk about broadcasting, music, politics and even phonetics, and I listened to him intently everytime he talked about his experience when he worked as government broadcaster.

I don’t remember now how and where I first met him because Dong is not from Pangasinan. But in the last three years, he has been a frequent visitor at the city hall.

Last Monday, when he showed up in my office, he was literally panting, something I did not notice about him in the past. He often stood up at that time to go out to probably breathe. We even had lunch together and he was very thankful about it.

Last Thursday morning, a colleague broke to me the news that Dong died. Unfortunately, as of this writing, his body remains unclaimed at the morgue of the Region 1 Medical Center.

QUICKQUOTE: When I'm trusting and being myself... everything in my life reflects this by falling into place easily, often miraculously. -- Shakti Gawain
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?